Welcome to day 3 of the Tabasco Challenge where I’m put to the test making 5 recipes in 5 days using only 10 ingredients (Tabasco, basil/mint/cilantro, tuna/swordfish, cherry tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, eggplant, eggs, dark chocolate, and maple syrup). So far, we’ve experienced a delicious Tuna Crudo with Pickled Eggplant, and Sea Salt and Vinegar Eggplant Fries. Today we’re bringing you a very simple but beyond delicious Tomato Basil Picnic Salad.
Bursting with fresh flavor, this tomato salad is inspired by one I grew up with here in Texas. Texans love their homegrown tomatoes more than fish love water and we like to show them off anyway we can! This tomato salad is a show stopper along side a beautiful plate of bar-b-que briskett. We’ve given the traditional salad a twist with a splash of Tabasco and some bright fresh basil. My favorite way to eat it is ice cold but it’s perfectly fine at room temperature. Fresh, bright, and beautiful, this delicious tomato and basil salad is taken to a new level with a tangy and spicy vinaigrette perfect for any picnic basket or summer potluck.
We’ve got two more days to go of this crazy challenge from our friends at Tabasco. Let us know how you think we’re doing and come back tomorrow to see what else we’ve cooked up!
Fresh, bright, and beautiful, this delicious tomato and basil salad is taken to a new level with a tangy and spicy vinaigrette perfect for any picnic basket or summer potluck.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco Original Red Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, black pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and basil; toss to coat. Taste, add additional salt or pepper if needed.
- Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. Best served chilled.
by Meredith Steele
This post was sponsored by Tabasco. All opinions are my own.