Growing up, Thanksgiving was always an exciting time for me. I have an intensely large and loud family and the theatrical spectacle that would ensue was always very entertaining. Plus, there was my grandmother’s stuffing and all sorts of goodies like chocolate meringue pie and handmade fried apricot pies to indulge in. Total comfort food is a holiday must but sometimes I like to throw a dish in with a lot of flavor that strays from our family’s traditional southern flare. This year, it’s Roasted Spiced Sweet Potatoes with Pomegranate — a delicious combination of flavors that screams autumn and holidays.
This side dish is simple to put together and takes little effort. A slow roast of the potatoes with inciting spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, and curry powder brings out their natural sweetness. Then I toss them with tartly bright pomegranate airls and nutty pistachios for a beautifully tasting dish.
Of course, you don’t have to serve these bites of deliciousness just at Thanksgiving. I was feeling a bit indulgent yesterday and served it with a recipe I’m working on, apple cider glazed pork belly. People who say food doesn’t bring happiness has never had a good meal and that should be illegal.
These perfectly roasted sweet potatoes with beautiful spices such as cinnamon, curry powder, and cardamom are tossed with tart pomegranate and pistachios for a gorgeous side dish.
- 4 large unpeeled sweet potatoes (about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pomegranate airls
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, toss to combine sweet potatoes, olive oil, cinnamon, curry powder, cardamom, salt, and pepper. Evenly spread potatoes on a parchment lined (optional) rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring halfway through, until cooked through and slightly golden.
- Toss roasted potatoes with pomegranate airls, pistachios, and parsley. Serve.