Last year, I was kidnapped by some ultra marathon runners and forced into the most horrible torture ever… crewing for the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run. It was a phenomenal experience that included 8 hours of sleep in 3 days, more gray hairs then I’d like to mention, and lots of chafing cream. You can read all about What Running 100 Miles Looks Like while you’re eating this amazing sandwich I’m about to tell you about.
Besides watching my husband run 100 consecutive miles, there was one other memorable moment and it came in the form of a breakfast taco. Being from Texas, I love breakfast tacos — you could say I’m sort of a breakfast taco expert. While preparing for the race, we awoke one morning in Tahoe and walked to a fabulous little coffee shop with the most unique breakfast taco… a bacon, egg, and tomato jam taco. I was floored. It was packed with salty bacon, creamy eggs, and sweet/tangy tomato jam, a combo that at first didn’t sound appealing but within one bite the flavors commanded every bit of my attention.
The moment I arrived home, I was obsessed with making this sun-dried tomato jam. After a few attempts, I’m proud to say we had a victory. I keep a jar of this deliciousness in my fridge at all times and it’s amazing on breakfast tacos, with cheese, and on sandwiches like this Grilled Chicken, Mozzarella, and Sun-dried Tomato Jam Sandwich.
Tender smoky chicken, fresh creamy mozzarella, sweet tangy tomato jam, and peppery arugula are cradled between toasted ciabatta and ready to be devoured in this delicious sandwich. It’s a flavor combination that demands attention and will force you to keep a jar of sun-dried tomato jam on standby in the fridge.
Grilled Chicken, Mozzarella, and Sun-dried Tomato Jam Sandwich
It all starts with the jam. First soak the sun-dried tomatoes.
Then saute onions…
and add tomatoes, tomato paste, a touch of balsamic, and a pinch of rosemary. It then simmers until nice and thick and ready for you to use. When your ready to light the grill, throw a few seasoned chicken breasts on and you are set for a delicious mouthwatering sandwich.
Tender smoky chicken, fresh creamy mozzarella, sweet tangy tomato jam, and peppery arugula are cradled between toasted ciabatta and ready to be devoured in this delicious sandwich.
for the sun-dried tomato jam
- 3 ounces sundried tomatoes (about 12 tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
for the sandwich
- 1 chicken breast
- Pinch kosher salt and ground pepper
- 1 thick slice fresh mozzarella
- 1 ciabatta bun, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato jam
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl of warm water and allow to soak for 10 minutes. With a knife, chop tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Once softened, add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, maple syrup, vinegar, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hour until a thick jam forms. Remove from heat and process in a food processor until smooth but still has texture. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken breast for 4 to 5 minutes a side until cooked through and no longer pink. Immediately after you remove the chicken from the grill, top with mozzarella.
- Lightly toast the ciabatta slices if desired.
- To assemble, place grilled chicken on top of the bottom bun and top with arugula. Spread sun-dried tomato jam on the remaining slice of ciabatta and place on top of arugula. Serve.