It’s the middle of the week and it’s crazy busy around here. Piles of laundry are blocking the bedroom door, there’s a new shade of pink crayon on the couch, deadlines are piled up on my desk higher than the husband’s mountain of stinky running shoes (that’s bad) , and the dog’s obsessive licking habit has officially caused yet another grey hair on my head. When days are like this, dinner has to be simple.
I don’t know about you, but pasta tends to be my go-to meal when I need a no-fuss meal on the table. Unfortunately, pasta isn’t the healthiest of meals as it doesn’t cary much nutrition. That’s when I try to balance everything out by adding as many vegetables as possible. Root vegetables aren’t something you normally see paired with pasta but in the fall/winter months when they’re at their peek is the perfect time to use these jewels. A simple roasting in the oven turns these veggies into an irresistible healthy treat that makes this pasta dish seriously addictive.
In just a few short and painless steps, bring a dinner to the table that’s not only nutritious but extremely delicious. Here’s the low-down:
Peel and cube parsnips, carrots, and beets. With an eight-minute prep time, this is the only time intensive part of this recipe. Drizzle with olive oil and throw in a preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes until tender. Then open a bottle of wine and have a glass if your day has been like mine. If you’re a planner, this step can be made a few days in advance and stored in the fridge until needed to make this meal even faster.
Next, boil up some cheese tortellini. Now here’s the magic of this recipe, a light but powerful sauce that brings this dish all together — made in 3 seconds. Place grated parmesan cheese, a tab of butter, fresh thyme, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. When the pasta is ready, strain reserving 1 tablespoon of the pasta water. Add tortellini and water to the cheese and toss to coat. The water and heat will melt the cheese and butter and coat the pasta instantly creating the easiest sauce ever.
Add roasted vegetables and just like that, you are finished!
Tender cheese tortellini coated in a light parmesan sauce and tossed together with irresistible roasted root vegetables is a simple meal with lots of flavor – perfect to feed a family on any night of the week. Cheers!
- 3 medium beets
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 medium parsnips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin oilve oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 11/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmegiano Reggiano
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- pinch of salt
- 1 pound fresh cheese tortellini
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Peel and cut beets, carrots, and parsnips into bite sized cubes or slices. Place on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper. Place in oven and roast for 30 to 40 minutes until fork tender.
- In a large bowl, combine parmesan cheese, butter, thyme , and salt; set aside until needed.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add tortellini and boil according to package directions. When cooked, strain the tortellini from the water; reserve 1 tablespoon of pasta water. Add pasta and reserved water to the cheese and toss to coat. Gently fold in the roasted vegetables. Taste and add any additional salt or pepper if needed. Serve.